Njabini Wool Crafters Cooperative Society – NWC
A cooperative that produces unique, high-quality handmade wool crafts and apparels for the fashion and nature consciousness while supporting the conservation of the endangered Sharpe’s Longclaw and empowering sheep farmers. They also provide employment and skills to local youth and women.
- The business is directly linked to the conservation of the Kinangop Highland Grassland, one of Kenya’s Important Bird and Biodiversity Area. By providing a fair market for local wool, they encourage local farmers to continue rearing sheep and conserve the natural grassland instead of converting it to cropland;
- The cooperative is exporting in the USA, Germany and the UK;
- The cooperative counts 30 members and has a team of 5 people;
- Client base: more than 30 customers;
- Has created more than 10 job places along the value chain;
- Over the years has received more than 200,000 USD as grant funding for conservation and workshop building.